1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp nutmeg
4 tsp ground ginger
pinch of salt
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup caster (very fine) sugar
5 tbs golden syrup
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
3. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, ginger, and salt.
4. With a sturdy spatula, add butter in small chunks until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Small, greasy ones, that is.
5. Add in sugar. Then gradually stir in golden syrup.
6. Flour your hands slightly, then shape dough into a large ball. Refrigerate for about 30 min.
7. Place golf ball-size pieces of dough on cookie sheets, leaving ample room in between.
8. Bake for 10-12 minutes until balls have spread flat, turned golden brown, and assumed a crinkly surface texture.
9. Cool on wire racks. Enjoy with a cuppa.*
*That means 'tea' in British.